A combination of sauteed cabbage, bacon and onions is definitely a delicious comfort side dish or dinner option any time of the year.
The aroma of this nutrient-dense, low-carb cruciferous veggie takes me back to my mother’s kitchen in Poland, where cabbage was served on a consistent basis.
Those memories continue to inspire me as I create various cabbage meals and soups with my family today. And I’m so grateful that my kids and husband have become fans of this cultural journey.
Cheers to cabbage!
- 1 medium green cabbage, chopped
- 16 oz package of sliced bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Garlic salt + black pepper to taste
1. Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry until golden brown in a large Dutch oven or pot. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Chop the cabbage into small pieces and add it to the pot. Sautee until soft.
3. Turn the heat on low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add some water if needed to prevent from sticking.
4. Enjoy with a piece of bread on the side or simply on its own.