This classic Italian dessert is layered with rich freshly whipped sweet cream, fluffy pound cake, brewed coffee, Kahlua and cocoa powder all in one bite.
Deliciousness beyond words. And one bite may not be enough…
The blend of coffee aroma, heavy cream and cocoa will have your taste buds hooked and you’ll crave another bite and another and perhaps just one more…
You know where I’m headed with this. Cravings come and go so if you happen to want this at 10 pm on a random weeknight or maybe a slither for breakfast, then grab a spoon and go for it.
No worries. We’ve all been there so no judgement there.
This dessert deserves five stars. After one bite, you’ll see why.
This simplified version is easy to make and doesn’t require much time. So lets head to the kitchen and get started…
Yield: 12 servings (8 x 8 glass pan)
- 1 Sara Lee frozen pound cake
- 2 cups (16 oz) heavy whipping cream
- 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup Kahlua Liquor (omit for alcohol-free version)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Hershey’s chocolate bar (optional to make chocolate curls)
- Using an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese, heavy cream and sugar until thick and fluffy. Set aside.
- Mix coffee and liquor together in a large mug. Set aside.
- Slice the pound cake into 12 even slices.
- First layer – Place 6 slices of the pounds cake on the bottom of a 8 X 8 glass pan. Pour half of the coffee mixture evenly on the pound cake until well soaked. Spread half of the cream mixture on top of the cake.
- Second layer – Repeat direction #4. (Place the remaining pound cake on the first cream mixture, then pour the coffee on top and layer with the remaining cream.)
- Sprinkle the top cream layer with cocoa powder and chocolate curls (optional).
- Chill overnight before serving for better absorbed flavors.
- Enjoy by the spoonfuls.
NOTE: To make a 9 X 13 pan, simply double the ingredients and bam! You can now feed a bigger crowd and see more smiling faces 🙂