Beets (buraczki) and European roots sort of go together. Growing up in Poland, we ate beets regularly and were excited when my mother made beet soup. We had a few bowls for dinner and didn’t need much food afterwards. Beet soup filled us up and we were content with eating it again the next day.
And today I find myself doing the same for my own kids. Preparing beets in various ways and enjoying them with my family.
Beets are nutrient-dense, low in calories and easy to prepare. They are packed with vitamins, including potassium, Folate, Vitamin C and fiber which help reduce blood pressure, improve cognitive function, fight inflammation and support gut health.
They are very filling and will help you lose weight if eaten regularly with other healthy deeply-pigmented vegetables.
Amount Per 1 beet (2-3″ diameter) (80-100 grams)
Roughly 1 cup cooked/boiled
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.2 g||0%|
|Saturated fat 0 g||0%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 106 mg||4%|
|Potassium 442 mg||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13 g||4%|
|Dietary fiber 3.8 g||15%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Protein 2.2 g||4%|
|Vitamin A||0%||Vitamin C||11%|
|Vitamin D||0%||Vitamin B-6||5%|
I made this recipe using the crockpot overnight and it was very convenient waking up to delicious, boiled ready-to-eat beets.
First, I washed and scrubbed 3-4 beets with cold water. Then, I placed them in a crockpot filled with 1/4 cup of water and set it on LOW for 8 hours.
I woke up at the next day, took them out and placed them in cold water. The skin came off so easily. (Be careful. The beets will be HOT.) Voila!
I diced them, sprinkled some garlic salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil and that’s it. Healthy deliciousness ready and waiting for you 🙂
- 3-4 raw beets (washed and scrubbed, skin on)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- balsamic vinaigrette
- sprinkle of garlic salt + pepper
- parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Wash and scrub 3-4 beets. Leave the skin on.
- Pour 1/4 cup water in a crockpot, place the beets inside and set it to cook on LOW for 8 hours overnight.
- Take them out carefully (they will very HOT) and place them in cold water. Using your own fingers, peel the skin off. (It should peel off very easily). Cut them into 1/2 inch chunks and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. Add the beets and mix well.
- Serve beets on a plate, drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and garnish with your favorite green herb. Enjoy!
Your tummy awaits and your heart will smile 🙂
You may also like: https://thespunkysaver.com/2019/01/21/crockpot-sweet-potatoes/